We tested the Memory Map navigation app for iPad as part of our group navigator test • Raster maps • The app is free
UK and Ireland costs £ 25
Our review of Memory Map iPad app
• detailed and highly accurate hydrographic maps
• clear and informative maps, contain a lot of useful details
• show the current coordinates of the vessel in longitude and latitude
• very easy to create and modify a route
• good value
• to select each individual card you need to go to the menu
• the map is not interactive enough
• no up-to-date data on tides and weather
• slow speed of flipping through the maps while the navigator may freeze
Memory Map for Great Britain and Ireland, these are scanned Hydrographic charts of the British Admiralty, which retained all their advantages, especially concerning anchoring and navigation among the half-flooded rocks and stones. There are no other charts that can compare with these charts in the accuracy and detail of information for mariners. We can say that the disadvantages applicable to Memory Map for iPad are the same as for Imray iPad app. The lack of functionality in this application is disappointing, especially when compared to more advanced vector maps.
The coverage is impressive, only for Great Britain and Ireland there are 800 maps and harbor plans, but the most annoying thing about this application is that there is no way to simply enlarge the map, in any case you need to go to the menu and select the necessary folder from the list, while the cursor showing the position of the vessel will be calmly navigate between different maps and scales.
With all that said, the cost of the cards is their main advantage of £ 25 for all cards for the UK and Ireland, cards for a personal computer or mobile phone will cost £ 50. At the same time, maps are updated annually and all updates are paid differently than in maps. Navionics, so if you bought maps once - Imray can use them without updates. These charts do not have many other useful options such as those found in Navionics charts. These maps do not include weather, tide, and tide data.
This is a good application if you need to know your place on a map that looks exactly like a good paper map of the British Admiralty, but using all the other options is difficult and inconvenient. The cost is very attractive, especially when compared to the paper version.
The links below show test reports from seven navigation apps for yachtsmen
- iPad navigator tested: 7 Navigation Apps Report
- Navionics HD - The best system to buy • vector maps • the application is developed for all regions of the charter, prices differ depending on the region
- iSailor - Yachting World Recommends • Transas • free app. Maps differ in content and price
- Imray iPad app - Imray cartography • Raster maps • free app. Cards £ 29.99
- Plan2Nav - Jeppesen C Map • Cartography C Map • Vector Maps • Free App. Cards £ 26.99
- Garmin - BlueChart mapping • vector maps • free app. Cards £ 39.99 North West Europe
- iNavx - Vector maps • Navionics cartography • free app. Cards £ 46.38
- Memory Map - Raster maps • Free application. Cards £ 25 UK and Ireland
A source: Yachting world
News and articles
The world leader in the charter yacht market Dream Yacht Charter, amid the current Covid crisis, decided to open a new base in the Italian city of La Spezia, which would meet all current requirements and take into account all the needs of yachtsmen.Read more…
Where to go on a charter yacht? Top 10 Destinations #7 Tuamotu The Tuamotu group of islands is a crown of coral and sand in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. It is a Pacific pearl with wild and unique natural beauty. The Tuamotu Islands are far from something familiar and ordinary to us.Read more…
Windward Islands, Caribbean The Windward Islands are composed of coral and volcanic islands and include four island countries. Typically, charter cruises in the Windward Islands start from bases in Martinique, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent or Grenada. Mountainous terrain, rainforest, barrier reefs, secluded parking areas. In the Windward Islands, you can experience all that the Caribbean has to offer.Read more…