We tested this market leading nautical app as part of our test of various mobile navigation apps. The choice of applications, their cost is significantly different from one another.
Our Navionics HD report
- Enlarges any area quickly and makes it easy to flip through maps.
- It loads quickly and easily.
- It is very easy to define routes with an additional navigation module.
- Excellent, easy-to-use ebb and flow information.
- There is a simplified version for very easy reading of information and ease of use in the cockpit.
- Very large base of maps, covering the entire globe
- Low cost
- The app needs to be purchased a second time if you plan to install it on iPhone as well
- The picture on the display may seem unnecessarily cluttered with various information
- It takes a few seconds for the yacht's position to appear on the screen when you turn on your iPad.
Navionics HD Navigation App for iPad
Navionics, the leader among all developers of navigation apps for iPad and iPhone. Cost: £ 37.99 (for UK and Holland. Prices vary by region Europe £ 15.49, Caribbean / S America £ 10.49)
They were among the first to launch marine navigators for Apple mobile devices, which are constantly being improved and improved. All of this, plus the price of the Navionics HD iPad app - £ 37.99 for all maps for the UK, Holland and Ireland, justifiably explains why this app is so popular. It is also necessary to say that it is enough to pay for the application once and you do not need to pay extra when updating it. The information is updated automatically every time you open a new map.
In this application, you will see the same charts that are sold at a significantly higher price under the name Navionics Gold, for stand-alone GPS chartplotters, which have just a few extra options from the Platinum charts. In other words, these maps look exactly like maps on more expensive stand-alone Raymarine units.
There are other reasons why Navionics navigators are so successful and outselling others on the market. Enlarging and flipping cards is very quick and easy. Loading any new map is very simple - you just need to enlarge the screen in any new place that interests you. An additional paid section in the application will make it very easy for you to plan and plot any routes on the map, in this section you can also see distances, bearings, courses and XTEs.
The application also contains other very useful functions, for example, you can download a satellite image of the area, where you can see what is interesting on the shore next to your boat. The weather and current information is excellent. It is enough to click on the ebb tide sign and all the information will be in front of your eyes, it is very useful in order to understand what will happen in this place in a few days.
The application allows you to easily measure the distance and course between any two points, which is very convenient when planning a transition.
When this app came out for the first time, there were many complaints from users regarding the usability of the navigation function. The developers have offered a new version of the application for £ 2.99 pounds. It was a reasonable price, which turned a good program into an exceptional navigator in its convenience and usefulness for lovers of sea travel.
The links below show test reports from seven navigation apps for yachtsmen
- iPad navigator tested: 7 Navigation Apps Report
- Navionics HD - The best system to buy • vector maps • the application is developed for all regions of the charter, prices differ depending on the region
- iSailor - Yachting World Recommends • Transas • free app. Maps differ in content and price
- Imray iPad app - Imray cartography • Raster maps • free app. Cards £ 29.99
- Plan2Nav - Jeppesen C Map • Cartography C Map • Vector Maps • Free App. Cards £ 26.99
- Garmin - BlueChart mapping • vector maps • free app. Cards £ 39.99 North West Europe
- iNavx - Vector maps • Navionics cartography • free app. Cards £ 46.38
- Memory Map - Raster maps • Free application. Cards £ 25 UK and Ireland
A source: Yachting world