We tested the Plan2Nav navigation app for iPad as part of our group test of various navigation apps. The app itself is free - Maps £ 26.99 UK, Ireland and English Channel. • Jeppesen CMap • CMap cartography • Vector maps •
Our Plan2Nav Review
Intuitive symbols on the icons make the navigator easy to use. The icons on the screen are conveniently located at the very bottom.
• The menu is self-explanatory, there are no tricky buttons or computer tricks. Instead, we have a clear display and a limited set of useful options.
• The tide is shown by arrows, but the characteristics and directions of the tide are shown only at a given point in time.
• Updates quickly, but there are not many details that are important.
• Outdated appearance of maps, a lot of missing details at any magnification.
• In some cases, the complete lack of important details is misleading.
• Sometimes, the update is delayed.
• 3D view is primitive and insufficient
• It is too easy to reorient the map, so you may accidentally get a confusing image.
• Difficult to build and edit a route. The instructions say how to move the pivot point on the map, in reality we could not do it
Plan2Nav navigation app for iPad
Despite the fact that the application maker is one of the key players in the vector map market, it has not been able to apply the well-proven CMaps. The Plan2Nav iPad app is outdated, clunky and slow. We made sure that it lacks the necessary basic functions and is difficult to use, the maps are not informative and are constantly disappointing.
It was an unpleasant surprise for us to see how a company with a reputation for making good vector maps could lose face in creating an iPad app.
The links below show test reports from seven navigation apps for yachtsmen
- iPad navigator tested: 7 Navigation Apps Report
- Navionics HD - The best system to buy • vector maps • the application is developed for all regions of the charter, prices differ depending on the region
- iSailor - Yachting World Recommends • Transas • free app. Maps differ in content and price
- Imray iPad app - Imray cartography • Raster maps • free app. Cards £ 29.99
- Plan2Nav - Jeppesen C Map • Cartography C Map • Vector Maps • Free App. Cards £ 26.99
- Garmin - BlueChart mapping • vector maps • free app. Cards £ 39.99 North West Europe
- iNavx - Vector maps • Navionics cartography • free app. Cards £ 46.38
- Memory Map - Raster maps • Free application. Cards £ 25 UK and Ireland
A source: Yachting world
News and articles
The Energy Observer is the first autonomous hydrogen vessel that produces hydrogen from seawater and does not emit greenhouse gases. The Energy Observer's six-year round-the-world expedition aims to find renewable energy solutions. The Ship of the Future is sponsored by Toyota Motor Europe, which has a long history of strong commitment to renewable energy.Read more…
Are you going to conquer the Arctic or visit Antarctica? Or just decided that you want to go to sea in a cold winter? Well, Interparus will give you some simple but important advice about traveling on a yacht to the cold regions of our planet!Read more…