Our life has long revolved around all kinds of gadgets and other technology. Navigation on phones and tablets. The Internet has long overshadowed radio broadcasting of weather forecasts. And, before we go on a cruise, we thoroughly wool the weather sites. Radio beacons are closely intertwined with our smartphones, and for many travelers, working in global and social networks, blogging has become almost the only way to make money (unless, of course, they do not want to get involved in boat repairs and get entangled in a sticky web with putties, resins , fiberglass and other chemicals).
Waterproof bags are the main guardian of the most important things
Each of you knows that the sea, with its salty air, high humidity is not the best neighborhood for any equipment.
The point is that clean air alone cannot be harmful. All the "dirty" work is done by salt impurities, accelerating wear and tear and destroying all the vulnerabilities of our devices. And since water is an ideal conductor, the reaction is not long in coming. Corrosion, oxidized contacts, dead boards, etc ... Needless to say about the consequences? A dead device is still half the trouble. It is much more terrible when this thing turns into a potential pest, and if such a "short", then there is not far to a fire. And to change the wiring - oh, how expensive it is. As an example: the average salary of an electrician (good electrician!) In Turkey can reach from 32 to 40 thousand dollars a year. Some may charge about 1.5 thousand liras for one visit only. Fortunately, our men can do everything!
In addition to chemical damage, mechanical damage can also occur. Remember at least minutes, hours, or even days and weeks of storms. When all things, unsecured or by chance "burst free", turn into one continuous mess. Everything falls and dances merrily on the floorboards. And a laptop that has collapsed into this "black hole" by accident with all your navigation will not add to your joy.
But, there are ways and little tricks that will help your faithful companions last longer:
- A bag. This is the first barrier on the way to your electronic friend. This is the minimum protection that can reduce exposure to salty air. Further sealed / waterproof bags or covers. Their presence is especially necessary when disembarking. If you get there on a tuzik, the wave can easily knock it out, and you will lose your balance. If the boat has a small diameter of the cylinders and does not have a raised nose, then the wave, most likely, will also shower you well. There is another way to achieve positive buoyancy - fill all the free pockets with polyurethane foam. However, the method is highly controversial.
- Plugs. Inexpensive and effective. Prevent moisture and dust, and most importantly, salty air from entering the ports of your laptop and phone. They can be bought (sold in any store), the material is silicone. Or make it yourself from ordinary earplugs. Pre-lubricated with organic oil to avoid material sticking.
- A belt! Or rather, a strap. On hand. This little nuance will save you from an accident - dropping any device from your hands. If the device was not provided by the manufacturer, you can always build it yourself. Or add it manually. If you use a laptop on the yacht, it is better to get an external hard drive. It is shock and moisture resistant. This way you can avoid losing important data / photos, etc.
- Clamps / cable ties. As a rule, any cable tends to break one day. To prevent this moment, it is better to wrap the last few cm in front of the "head" of the connector / plug with several loops. Another option is a thermotube or a spring from a pen.
- Moisture absorbers or desiccants. Yes, yes, the same ones that are usually put in boxes with all shoes / household appliances, etc. A couple of these bags can be put in a bag / case for any item. Where can I get them? You can go to any nearest sporting goods or shoe store and ask them. They usually give these bags for free. Share your travel story if needed. They love to listen to "Yahtanutyh" :). You can also use regular rice (if the apparatus is already wet). Place in a container, cover with rice and leave overnight. By morning, the grains will absorb all the moisture. Or resort to pure (isopropyl) alcohol, because it displaces water, is non-conductive and evaporates quickly.
- Various anti-corrosion agents for circuits and printed circuit boards. There is usually a huge assortment of such in stores. They envelop the surface, thereby ensuring the displacement of water in case of contact with it.
Of course, the vast majority of equipment is not designed for life in yachting conditions. But, do not limit yourself in the pleasures or comforts that she can bring. It is better to treat such things that are useful to us with trepidation and love, and they will return the same. Laptops that store so many maps and our routes. Photos ... Phones, which with their last strength pull the discharged battery in the dark, and in the rain lead us the right course during difficult and long transitions. Cameras that have seen and captured the brightest and most touching moments of our lives. We are a new generation with new needs and opportunities.
A source: Cruisingworld
News and articles
To stop the spread of COVID-19, scheduled boat shows, fashion events and other events are canceled around the world. Some of the biggest luxury brands don't stop there, donating billions of dollars to doctors in the fight against coronavirus and providing assistance as they can.Read more…